Thursday, August 09, 2007

Demo Derby Time

Our County's annual fair is this week and tonight was the first of three demolition derby events. For those of you who have never heard of this, cars or trucks are stripped down to the bare essentials to run, then they are put in an arena and smash the tar out of each other until only one vehicle is left running. It's like bumper cars with attitude.

Randy and I had pit passes (thanks, Roy, you're the best!), but I stayed up in the stands with our son T. He had never been to one before and wanted to see it. Didn't want to risk him being so close to the action.

Each round took about 10-15 minutes, then they had to bring in tractors to tow out the losers.

Just as the final round was about to begin, the sky opened up and just poured. I went running for cover and forced T to go with. He was not pleased. Being a 12-year old boy, the thought of sitting in the rain, watching cars beat each other to a pulp is his idea of a great time. Randy was under the stage, so he was dry. Muddy, from the cars and trucks tires spinning in the mud, but dry.

When the rain eased up a pinch, the kids and I went running for the truck and waited for Randy to get there. After downloading over 400 photos, I sent the best to the paper and now want to pass a few on to you.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Here they do all this destructive nonsense on the ice at the Winter Carnival.

3:38 AM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Hi Gretchen,
I'm finding you popping up all over my blogs - what fun!! Just found you on my Swap Cards blog, and am chuckling at your comment about not having heard of collecting cards like this before. Could it be another mad Aussie thing??
Oh, I don't know how you can stand those demolition derby events; I keep thinking it is such an awful waste of fuel. No wonder fuel prices are so high!

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buena web, me gusta ;)

5:27 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Do you think there are really people who have never been to a demolition derby? I must say I haven't been in a while but we used to have them at our local county fair where I grew up. I'm sure they have them around here too. Great photos.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Mandi said...

Hi Gretchen...many thanks for your congrats...it is very kind of you to say so....You have a lot of interesting topics on your blog...I hope you got my last comment...sometimes I have trouble with the computer and don't know if things get through...till soon

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home