Sunday, July 22, 2007

Harry Potter Book Release Party

Since I didn't even turn on the computer since getting the book, I didn't post about the Potter party. It was my first ever experience at something like that, so I had no idea what to expect.

Friday, I was up early and walked over to the nearest Barnes and Nobles to get in line to get a ticket to get a place in line for that night's release of the final Harry Potter novel. Trevor and I sat there for about two hours, but we got a red ticket. That meant we would be in the first group to get the book!

After I had that in my hands, we drove over to Kennywood Park and spent the entire day there. I can't ride anything because of my shoulder, but had no problem walking around and taking photos and playing skeeball.

We left there around 9:30 to go back to Monroeville to the bookstore. It was quite a party scene. People were all dressed up in their finest Hogwarts' fashions. Even Lord Voldemort was there skulking about. He was kind enough to pose for photos with Trevor and me, even pressing his wand into my forehead. :) He said he had taken hundreds of photos already.

There were glasses, temporary tatoos and graduation tassels given to everyone there as well as photos with a cutout of Harry. Randy and Arielle ran to another bookstore to see what goodies they had to give to fans, but they only had glow in the dark necklaces, so they came back to where we were.

The line began at 11:15 p.m. and the countdown to midnight began. I got the book in my hands around 12:05 a.m. and immediately started reading it as we walked out to the car and read it the entire three-hour drive home.

A few hours after we got home, I had to get up to go back to Altoona with my cousin who is getting married and asked me to be in her wedding. We were there looking for dresses. Why do they have to be sooo expensive? Over $250 for a dress I'll only wear once? ARRRGGGHHHH! Another cousin ran to the bookstore by the bridal shop to get her copy of the book, but was driving and couldn't read it then. We stopped at Waldenbooks in the mall and picked up a couple chocolate frogs. (I like the wizard cards in them.)

Anyway, once I get back home, I had to go to work. There was a wine/beer tasting festival that I had to cover. Yeah, rough job I have.

Finally got home around 5 p.m. and fell asleep reading the book. I finished reading it today. For those who are fans and haven't read it yet, I won't spoil it for you, but just say WOW! It was a truly brillant book


Labels: , ,


Blogger kate said...

Now that looks like fun! Great photo ... I was planning to go, but fell asleep. It sounds as if you have a good job!!

11:32 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Yeah, I do love my job. I'm a freelance writer/photographer. It gives me freedom and flexability and still allows me to earn a bit of money.

Free admittance to most everything is another nice point. :) I even got to take a flight on a B17 bomber once. My hubby was allowed on, too, because he was carrying my camera bags.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Hi Gretchen,
Thanks for leaving your comment at Patra's Place - always nice to see new faces! I never thought of going to a Harry Potter party...but at my age (59) I might be older than most others there! Having said that, I love the books and am nearly finished Deathly Hallows. Gosh that author has a vivid imagination!
I'll be back to your blog to read some more later - looks interesting!
Gina in Melbourne

4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home