Thursday, June 26, 2008

A day at the dam

Yesterday was Randy's one day off until next week, so we wanted to make the most of it. I had a meeting to cover in the morning that just wouldn't end. It started at 9:30 and it was almost noon before I got home. Ever been trapped in a meeting like that? It just wouldn't end! Finally, the chairman said meeting adjourned and I ran out of the building and I was home!

It wasn't raining, a small miracle in itself, so we grabbed the beach stuff and went out the door. We stopped by to see Randy's parents first. They had a bunch of wasps building nests on their garage and needed help getting rid of them. Nasty creatures. We went for lunch and were off to Parker Dam. It's only about 20 or so miles away and the new car can do that on less than a gallon of gas. Isn't it sad we had to think about the cost to drive for a much-needed day off?

One of the medicines I take makes me very susceptible to sunburns, so I stayed mainly under the beach umbrella, but really enjoyed the day just watching the kids and taking photos. They rented kayaks and went swimming. Randy had the video camera and used that. They were still talking about how much fun they had when I fell asleep.

It was such a relaxing day, with smiles and laughing. We need more of those. I already have the beach bags re-packed and ready for our next chance to go.

Labels: , , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Maude Lynn said...

Sounds like a fabulous day!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

It sound's like you had a wonderful day. These are the kind of days to cherish as they are the ones that become special memories.

I've been in situations where I was somewhere but I knew I'd had more important things on the agenda. Glad to read you got rid of the Nasty Wasp situation, they are very mean critters.

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving the comment. Please stop by whenever you want. Now that I got my new job, I will be posting more.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Christi S said...

Looks like you had a ball! I love summer days like that!

1:21 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Yes, I hated meetings like that, I'm so glad to be mostly retired. The rest of your day sounds fabulous. Love the photos.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Hi Gretchen,

Thank you for stopping by my blog.
I appreciate your comment regarding the FDA nonsense.

It sounds like you had a relaxing time after the meeting. Love the pics.

take care,
Barb

4:17 PM  
Blogger Bear Naked said...

AHH The lazy hazy days of summer.
Aren't they grand?
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Come again.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Oh WoW! Parker Dam is such a gem of a state park, isn't it? When I was a kid, my Mom's family used to have our annual reunion at Elliot Park and then one of my older cousins who had a driver's license would pack a bunch of the younger cousins into his Dad's car and we'd go to Parker Dam to swim! Brings back lots and lots of wonderful memories to me thinking of that place, of those times in my life too! Hope you all get to make several more beach runs like that throughout the summer!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

You spent some time on the water?! I'm jealous!

10:39 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Sounds like fun!

11:20 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh, this looked like a fabulous day....Ilove that picture of the boats on the water...Talk about relaxing.....Oh My!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds like a fun, relaxing day. I need to take a day like that myself. Just relax somewhere and read.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Snap Catch said...

What a great day! thanks for dropping by.

2:06 AM  
Blogger Mozi Esme said...

The dam sounds like fun! And the meeting doesn't . . .

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for visiting my place. I really enjoyed you photos, especially the kayaking. Reminds me, I need to get out on the river.

Cheers.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Sassyfrazz said...

Looks like it was a great day! Fun to get out and enjoy the day!

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home