Saturday, May 31, 2008

The rest of the story

While I'm able to sit up a bit, I thought I'd write the rest of the story from my last post.

I was in Pittsburgh, chaperoning a field trip and ended up being rushed to the hospital. We had visited the Art School there and my daughter has decided she wants to go there after graduating in three years. She wants to be a fashion designer. After the school, we got on the bus and ate our lunch. My turkey didn't taste right, so I only had a couple bites.

We got to the Carnegie Science Museum and had an hour to explore before our guided tour. My two kids and one of their friends got to see the dinosaurs and the gems and mineral room. There was a crystal skull there. Pretty neat even though I don't believe it is a real one, but just a casting.

We get back to meet the rest of the group and I start to hurt. We break up into three groups and head off in different directions. Daughter and her friend in one, son and me in another. We get to our first stop, a juvenile t-rex named "Jane" and the pain is so bad, I hit the floor. It felt like a bunch of knives were jabbing through my stomach and out my back. OUCH!

Security comes running and after seeing me doubled over, crying they call an ambulance, then have the rest of the security officers try to find my daughter and the teacher in charge of our group. My 13-year old son is sitting on the floor, holding my hand when 15-year old daughter comes running. The teacher gets there just as the ambulance shows up. She calls my hubby to let him know what was going on while the paramedics are checking vitals, etc... and I'm loaded into the ambulance.

Security there was great. I can't say enough good about them. They closed off the exhibit and stayed right there with me until we left. They stood in a circle around me to keep all the lookie loos away. As we were being taken out the door, they even gave my son free passes for us to come back another time. We will definitely do that. We didn't get to see even a third of the museum. I really wanted to see the Egyptian wing, but ....

After about four hours in the ER and more tests than I can count, I'm admitted for the night. My gallbladder is the cause, they think. They decided to send me home the next day since the pain wasn't as excruciating and let our family surgeon decide whether or not to remove it. (He's doing that on Tuesday).

It's a trip none of us will soon forget and I bet they don't ask me to chaperon another trip!

Labels: , , ,


Blogger Mama Zen said...

Wow! I hope that everything is OK. They didn't think it could be food poisoning?

10:16 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I didn't realize a Gall bladder could cause so much trouble so quickly. I hope you are well on the way to mending.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home