Monday, June 09, 2008

Happy Sweet 16!


My beautiful daughter turned 16 on Friday. Where did all those years go? Doesn't seem possible, but we had a big Sweet 16 party for her. Took months to get everything planned - DJ, caterer, etc..., but it was all worth it once I saw the look on her face. She never stopped smiling, well ... she did cry when her grandparents' gave her their present, but other than that it was all smiles and laughter.

I had surgery three days prior to the party and wasn't in the greatest of shape, so I couldn't get out and dance or eat, but I had my chair set to let me take photos and I did that well. Took almost 500 of them during the four and a half hours.

This was the first party we've had for her with school friends since she was a little girl, we generally just have family since we have such a large extended family.
All but two boys who were invited came to the party. They all had a blast or at least I'm assured that what "Da Bomb" means? I heard them talking that it was the best party they've ever been to. One girl said it was like being at a MTV Sweet 16 Party in person. Guess that's a good thing? (When did kids start speaking another language?)

The DJ - Krazy Kat - kept everyone hopping all night and I highly recommend him for anyone looking for a DJ. I specified NO COUNTRY MUSIC (I'm allergic to it. Green pea soup starts flowing out of my mouth, head starts spinning, not a pretty sight) and he was great about just playing today's hits and special requests from guests. Randy danced with her to "Butterfly Kisses" and the tears started flowing for everyone. She just is too grown up! Then his dad danced with her. Mine wouldn't get out on the floor at all. He doesn't dance, never has. Didn't even dance with me at my wedding. I did get on the floor for about half a song. My 13-year old son had his first slow dance with me. :) His girlfriend took over then and kept him on the floor the rest of the night. Too cute.

The gift pile was enormous! We gave her a Wii and my parents gave her games for it. Then Randy's parents gave her their card. Out popped a wrapped set of keys. Yes, she got a car! She ran outside and just started crying. She then jumped in for her photos and all her friends were screaming that they got the first ride. Well, her 3-year old cousin climbed in and took the front seat to get in the photos. Nobody got a ride since she won't get her learner's permit until Wednesday. Keep your fingers crossed that she passes the first time.

Back to dancing for the rest of the night. The kids just have too much energy! Finally, the last song of the night was played and her magical evening was over. We had TONS of food left over, so everyone took some home. Nobody in the family had to cook for the next couple of days.

Hopefully, I'll get back to normal soon and be able to sit up and post more often. This surgery has really kicked my butt.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Maude Lynn said...

Wow, what a party! Where were you when I turned 16?

12:37 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Your party will be the talk of the high school for some time to come.

A chick with a car! How cool is that?

How much sweeter would a sweet 66 party be? I will start dropping hints.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Let me tell you, I would have killed for a car on my 16th birthday! Actually, I would have killed to be allowed to get my permit when I turned 16 but my mother decided about 5 years before that date rolled around that I would not be allowed to get my permit till I turned 18 and could get it without her signature. Some kind of punishment she was doling out because I sort of took her car for a "spin" up the road by our house at age 11. Kids! But, seriously, happy belated 16th birthday to the daughter and hope you're feeling better and back on track really fast!

2:26 PM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

That is one beautiful Young Lady!! Is that red hair I detect? Hopefully the temper didn't come with it.:)

To give any kind of a party that "kids" approve of, MUCH less praise.....well, let's just say you pulled off the impossible!

"(When did kids start speaking another language?)"
Oh.....I'd say around the time we started being parents, perhaps?:)

2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home