Monday, August 27, 2007

Altoona Trip



We spent the past four days in Altoona visiting with a friend from Ohio. I had to be there on Thursday for a medical procedure and she decided to make the drive and spend the time with us. We've been friends for ages, we started writing as pen pals when we were both in high school and that wasn't yesterday.

The treatment was horrid. It involved 11 injections all around my head and back of neck to try and stop the migraines that rip apart my head and destroy my life. Not working so far. :( It was supposed to take effect within 3-5 days and tomorrow is the final day. At this point, I don't hold out much hope it will work. He wants me back in four weeks for a check up and to schedule more injections. Don' think I will be doing that. Being stabbed in the head repeatedly isn't enough fun enough to want to do it again when it doesn't help.

While we were there, we went to a couple Curve baseball games, went shopping and visited the world famous Horseshoe Curve and the railroaders' museum. The day we did our sightseeing was the hottest day of the entire summer - over 100 degrees. It was still a good day.

The weekend went by way too fast, but then fun always does. Why can't the bad times go by quickly and the fun last forever?

Now we're home and it's time to try and catch up with everything. We made the mistake of staying at the Econo Lodge and their promised wireless broadband service never materialized, so I haven't been on line since Wednesday night. I had hundreds of emails to go through so far. I was going through serious withdrawal symptoms by the time we got back and I was able to log on. I know, I know it's an addiction.

That will be our last trip of the summer since the kids go back to school on Thursday. They aren't at all happy about it. I'm not ready either, I like having them around all the time.

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Constance said...

Good Monday morning to you Gretchen !

I'm glad you and the kids got to go away and visit your friend and sightsee !

A railroader's museum sounds interesting - trains are fascinating !

It IS hard being without the internet for a week, isn't it ?!?

My enormous empathy that the migraine treatment did not work -- I am sure you have tried everything, and they are so very very painful.

I can only cross my fingers for you, and hope that maybe some new hormone will come around, or prescription, an that you will find relief.

Sincerely,
Loving Annie

11:40 AM  
Blogger maiylah said...

11 injections! oh my ... I'm so sorry it didn't work. Am hoping your migraine will eventually stop.
yeah, have to agree about the fun lasting forever! :)
many thanks for dropping by,
take care!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

So sorry the migraine treatment didn't work. I know they're miserable!

3:14 PM  
Blogger wolfbaby said...

im sorry the treatment didn't work.. the migrains suck i used to get them alot.. but my nero put me on plavix of all things and wow it works wonders.. over the counter idea is baby asprin once aday but i was allergic to that...

hope you get to feeling better soon

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today and commenting about my dad's clock.

I appreciate it a lot.

I am glad the post also made you smile about going on past etc. You sure have a problem with the migraines. Our youngest daughter, 34, had those and it turned out to be, of all things, too much fluid on the brain. Which they were able to drain away with drugs. I don't know if that might be your cause but the doctor has surely thought of it.

I enjoyed your picture and post.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I do hope all that treatment provides you some long term relief. It's got to be a real pain, in several ways, to have migraines. I've only once had the visual disturbance, without the pain, so I really can't know completely how much it would disrupt ones life - but I can imagine.

9:18 PM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

when we were both in high school and that wasn't yesterday.
I think I attended one of those once, but I can't remember that far back.:)

I get migraines, but over the years, mine have thankfully taped off to one or two every few months or so. Here's hoping you have the same fate.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Eric Valentine said...

Thanks for your visit to my blog. Great blog you have here, love the pic of the train.

Have a good week. Hope the headaches ease a little for you.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Oooh Gretchen, how awful. Why do doctors (the term includes all kinds of them!) have to inflict pain on people under the guise of preventing pain?? Have you tried seeing a chiropractor? So many of our aches and pains these days are caused by stress and can be alleviated by chiropractic manipulation to relieve tension on the spine. No, I'm not a chiropractor, but I have had great results from their treatment, as well as many friends and family.
Thank you for your sympathetic comment on my post about my job. I'll be posting an update on the situation in a few days, I hope.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Felicia said...

I'm so sorry it didn't work for you.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Constance said...

How are you feeling this morning Gretchen ? just checking in on Wednesday the 29th - hope that all is well.

Loving Annie

11:48 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

No one can imagine the pain of a migraine unless they've had them.

I was a migraine sufferer for many years. They started with my first pregnancy and joined me for just about every *special* event for the next thirty years. Imatrex (pills) made a wonderful difference, although I first got them in my 40s when hormone levels were changing and the headaches were lessening a bit. Now - post menopause - they've subsided to the point of being "just headaches" that annoy once in a great while. Being older has at least one advantage.

I'm sorry your treatments don't seem to be helping, but maybe they need a little more time. (Of course, the treatment sounds only slightly better than the migraines).

Migraine sufferers have to make the most of life between pain, and you seem to be doing that. I'm always happy to "meet" another photographer/writer - thanks for stopping by my blog.

I really like the photo of the bar! Very nice. You have a good eye, as evidenced by the composition of each of your pictures.

My time for blog visiting has been short lately, but I will add you to my blogroll and stop back in the future. Nice to make your acquaintance!

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home