Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Holiday Valley Ski Trip

With all the snow, my kids were begging to go skiing and snowboarding for the past several weeks. Randy finally had a weekend off, so we packed up the truck on Saturday morning and headed off to Holiday Valley in Ellicottville, NY. Randy loves to ski, so it wasn't a big deal for him to go. He was in the ski club all through school as are my kids. :) We got there around 10 a.m. and left at 8:30 p.m.





They all had a lot of fun skiing and Trevor snowboarding. Trevor tried his first black diamond trails this trip, so it was a big deal for him. I stayed at the lodge reading a book and drinking hot cocoa. I even finished the book (Blood Promise by Richelle Mead), so it was a good day for me, until it came time to leave. That's when I realized someone had stolen my tote bag. What kind of person steals a bag when the owner is sitting right there? I can't even say when it happened. I never left my stuff unattended. :(


Besides getting the purple tote bag my god-daughter gave me for Christmas, they got my Dell laptop charger, my white Nintendo DS in an Assassin's Creed case with 5 games, my organizer book (I'm a reporter and it's vital for me to have those phone numbers and appointments) and my contact lenses along with photos of family a few other personal things I always take when we travel. The total street value is probably less than $50 if it went to a pawn shop. What is wrong with people? If you absolutely had to have my DS, why not return my contact lenses and organizer?

That destroyed the trip for us and I honestly don't ever want to go back there. It hurts too much to think about it. There's a $100 reward for the return of the contents, no questions asked. If you happen to have gotten it mixed up with your bags, please return it. My name, address, phone numbers and email are on everything except for the charger and DS.
Parents, please talk to your children about how much it hurts when things are stolen. My children said they'll give up their allowance until all the items are replaced, but I can't do that to them. It's not their fault and will cost way more to replace everything than they are worth.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger That Janie Girl said...

That's horrible! I'm sorry for your loss. Hope you recover everything.

10:15 AM  
Blogger JennyD said...

Oh, Gretchen! I am in SHOCK! That is the most awful thing to happen. Let's hope real guilt sets in and maybe, just maybe that person will return your stuff. I'd feel the same way you do. Of course, it's not the place's fault, but still...leaves a terrible taste in your mouth, doesn't it. What a horrible shame. I am SO sorry.
XOXOXO

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm assuming that you called Lost and Found at Holiday Valley. If you didn't, it couldn't hurt. We had a pair of shoes stolen during a trip to Holiday Valley; never saw the shoes again.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

I called list & found 5 times. Not a thing was turned in. A used Nintendo DS goes for $30. Well worth your soul, huh? I'm slowly trying to replace the items, but the charger & DS are more than I an do for months. Gotta work overtime for It.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home