Friday, December 10, 2010

My updates


Sorry I haven't been around lately. We had another family emergency and it's taken over all my life and thoughts. This is the first time I've even opened my laptop in about a week.

My mother-in-law got very ill on Friday afternoon and we had to rush her to the hospital. On Saturday, she was bleeding very badly and was sent immediately to Hamot Hospital. They wanted to fly her, but the weather was too bad, so it was a stat ambulance. We followed and go to Hamot around midnight. By the time she got there, she had been given almost a dozen bags of blood and 5 or 6 bags of plasma. It was a very scary day and we almost lost her.

She was in Erie four days and after exploratory testing, they found the bleeding had stopped on itself, so she didn't need to have surgery. We're very thrilled about that. We brought her home Wednesday night. After the holidays, she'll be getting her knees replaced. She's in horrible pain from them and can't take much more of it.

She's home now where she feels better. My 18-year old daughter has moved in to help take care of her. When she leaves for school, my mother goes over to hang out. MIL won't let me just stay there because she's too worried I have too much on my plate to bother with her. Silly and I've told her that, but she won't budge. I can stop by and have lunch and run a few errands, but that's it.

This was another of those turning points in life for me. I've always known how fast we can lose those we love. We make sure we hug and kiss and say I love you before we leave. Those should be the last words your loved one hears.

Since it's Christmas time, the moral of my story is to please make time for your elderly family and friends. Record that show or football game and go spend a couple hours making grandma happy. Have her tell you about Christmas when she was young. Let it be the start of a family history. Record it and you can make special gifts for everyone with photos and words telling about their family tree. Imagine how important those CDs will be for future generations.

We all need to tell those we love that every day. I hope everyone has a wonderful season!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger JennyD said...

Oh, YES, YES, YES, Gretchen! That is so spot on and I am so glad you posted this for everyone. Nothing in this world is more important and I know your mother-in-law is very, very proud of you, not to mention her son and then your own mother. Shoot, I'm proud of you, too!
I'm very glad to hear from you as I was getting worried. Isn't it amazing how once we're connected to a blog family we think of everyone as our own. It's a nice thing :D
XOXOXO

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy that your MIL is back home. You didn't say if the doctors discovered what caused the bleeding, just that it stopped on its own. My prayer for you and your family is that good health comes your way for each of you.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

These are difficult days for your family. I hope things work out for the best. I admire your attitude and family solidarity.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home