Monday, February 02, 2009

Flat Stanley/Landon


I spent the last month and a half hosting a sweet little boy named Flat Landon. Barb asked for people to help out her grandson by hosting him. It was a lot of fun. I took him to work with me, so he got to meet several politicians, radio djs and the Pittsburgh Pirates; we went to a movie and just hung out with my family. He went to the eye doctor, the bank and pharmacy and learned about what he'll have to do once he gets to high school.



Some people I showed him to knew immediately who he was, while others had never heard of him before. If you ever get a chance to host him or one of his friends, go for it. It's a lot of fun!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Reader Wil said...

Flat Landon must be well known in your country. He looks cheerful! I'd never heard of him before, but like to know more about him! Thanks for telling.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Gretchen! Awhile ago there was a story about him. It sounded like a lot of fun. He sure did a lot and met a lot of great people.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

A few years ago my older grandson who is now 11 years old had a "Flat Stanley" project within his class. At one point, he sent Stanley out to Nevada where Grandpa (my ex) lives and the ex took little Stanley all over the place with him and had a blast! It's kind of poignant for me knowing he did this with the grandson but had the same program been around when my kids were in school, he would never have helped out and participated then. The difference being that now Grandpa is sober! But trust me, I'm just happy that Flat Stanley got to go to Nevada, saw some championship drag races and a lot of other things and the grandson was very, very pleased too!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Ellen Whyte said...

Thanks for dropping by the blog. Gong Xi Fah Cai! May this year of the Ox be a prosperous and happy one.

Never heard of Flat Landon. Is this a US thing? For charity or for fun like pet rocks?

Who's the cute lab?

9:04 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

I don't think Flat Stanley is really just an American thing, katztales. He is sent all over the world. The purpose is to teach children about other areas. I took my guest all over my region. Since I'm a reporter, he got to do lots of things others wouldn't get to. I'd be happy to host most any time. :)

11:05 PM  
Blogger Maria Verivaki said...

i must admit i'd never heard of him, but he does look cute!

3:31 AM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

I remember hearing about this! How cool!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Sassyfrazz said...

Flat Landon looks like he could have some personality, too! Never heard of him, but it is nice to meet him!

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home