Friday, November 21, 2008

Back from Ohio

I'm back from a disappointing trip to the Cleveland Clinic. I was scheduled to be there for four or five days of their intensive IV therapy. Well, I walked in the morning of the third day and was informed they would be giving me fluids and releasing me because the doctor felt it wasn't helping. I cried. All the pain of getting the two treatments were for nothing. :(

It's true, they did nothing for me, but they're supposed to be the best. How can they just give up? They wanted me to talk to their "pain therapist." Why is it that people with headaches are considered crazy? I just don't get it.

I went along and talked to her. If you've seen the movie Fight Club, then you could have been there, too. The scene I'm talking about it when Ed Norton's character was in the one support group and they were told to go to their happy place. SIGH! My happy place didn't have the talking penguin, just a young therapist who kept checking out her watch to see when she could get rid of me.

They wanted me to stop all my pain meds because they're so evil. Well, I get back from that nonsense and what does the nurse do? Shoot me up with Demerol. My hubby was beyond furious.

I'm home now. Not sure what I'll do next. They gave me a bunch of pills. I'll give them a try, but all the hope I have is gone.

What a nightmare this whole thing is. I'm sorry we even went. My head is exploding right now, so I'm going back to bed for a bit.

I do want to thank everyone who has been so kind and send their prayers and well wishes. It does mean so much to read them.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Gretchen! I am so sorry about this. It is very frustrating and disappointing. I don't blame your husband for being furious. Why do these people become doctors? Aren't they supposed to help us?

Why not look into acupuncture. I have heard that this has helped people. It's worth a try.

My thoughts are with you. Lisa

10:55 AM  
Blogger threesidesofcrazy said...

Gretchen I'm so sorry it didn't work. Living with Systemic Lupus, Fibromyalgia and Raynaud's gives me a serious empathy for you. Have you tried UCLA? They have some programs regarding the power of positive thought or at least they did in the late 80's and were working with cancer patients effectively to relieve pain. I hope you find a workable solution soon!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh, man! I've been praying for you, especially while you were gone. I'm bummed to hear the news. Where do you go from here? What's the next step?
I will increase my prayers. There has to be an answer and some sort of relief! Hang in there.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Webradio said...

I "think" about You... (Je pense à Vous !)

See You later !

3:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father suffered migraines quite badle but after he went to an osteopath (chiropractor) who worked on his upper spine an neck he had long period free of headaches.
I am very sorry to hear you have had the runaround.

1:06 PM  
Blogger ~Brenda said...

I’m very sorry to hear your Cleveland Clinic trip didn’t help you one iota.

Please keep seeking help until you find an answer.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Maria Verivaki said...

that is so mean - but you still need to find a solution , so dont give up

3:47 PM  
Blogger Leora said...

I second your friend Lisa and would say try acupuncture. In general someone *reputable* who has studied traditional Chinese medicine is a good start.

Chronic illness like what you describe is not Western medicine's specialty. If you lived here, I would send you to my favorite chiropractor.

Good luck.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Sassyfrazz said...

I am so sorry to hear that you aren't getting the care or treatment you need! I would check somewhere else...new clinic/new Dr.

I hope those headaches go away quickly~~

11:43 PM  
Blogger Sassyfrazz said...

How are you feeling, Gretchen? Just checking in to see how you are. :)

8:53 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

Hi Gretchen, I was just catching up on some of this news on your Migraines and such. What horrible things you had to endure.
How are you doing now??
Are you on any kinds of medications to prevent the migraines?
Have they tried you on Topamax. I know it has worked for many Migraine sufferers out there. I use it as well along with many of my other meds for my epilepsy but wow... fantastic results!! I used to suffer migraines 3 times a week that left me lieing in bed unable to function. Nauseated, dark rooms, no life but Topamax works great but takes weeks to work into the system and patience.

I hope life gets better for you...
You deserve it. Hang in there!
~Michele~

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home