Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day



Besides being a very important birthday, today is also Veterans Day.

For all those who have served, I thank you, all 48 million of you. For those that have died, rest in peace.

But fame is theirs - and future days

On pillar'd brass shall tell their praise;

Shall tell - when cold neglect is dead -

"These for their country fought and bled."

~Philip Freneau

Millions like me enjoy freedom because of the sacrifices of young men and too many of us take freedom for granted.

Randy was a Marine when we got married and served in the first bush's Iraq War. It was truly a time of nightmares. Every time the phone rang or someone knocked on the door, I broke into cold sweats. Was it going to be "that" message? Luckily, he came home safe and sound, but there are too many who don't. We need to remember their sacrifice every day and make sure no more have to lose their life. It's time to end the non-stop war and bring our troops home!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Reader Wil said...

When my father came back from the war at sea, he was traumatized. And my mum, my sisters and I had had our experiences in the Japanese concentration camps.So Veterans Day is also important for us albeit that we celebrate Liberation Day and Remembrance Day on 5 and 4 May.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Small City Scenes said...

A beautiful tribute. I salute them!

Happy Birthday to Trevor. MB

8:08 PM  
Blogger Martha said...

Amen!!!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Gretchen! I am glad that Randy is home safe and sound. And I thank him for his service to our Country. We do agree that it is time to end this war and bring our troops home. Lisa

9:00 PM  
Blogger Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Hi Gretchen, thank you for stopping by my TF. I have grown up in Switzerland. It was not involverd in wars luckily. Australia on the other hand is remembering its fallen soldiers. Peace to all.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Patsy said...

Thanks Gretchen for your visit to my blog and Happy Birthday to your son.
Patsy

10:36 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I agree ! all wars should be stopped !

12:16 AM  
Blogger Webradio said...

Stop all the wars !

5:32 AM  
Blogger Indrani said...

Touching tribute!
Hope Peace prevails!!

8:38 AM  
Blogger This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Gretchen: So many ways to say thank you veterans.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

It's wonderful to remember our troops on this special day. I have many in my family that have served. My brother served his term in the Marines and was released right before 911. It's nerve raking. Thanks for sharing.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home