Friday, April 18, 2008

President Clinton


Yesterday, I had the rare honor of hearing former President Bill Clinton speak and got to shake his hand twice and got his AUTOGRAPH!!! The crowd had swelled to over 1,000 people by the time the doors opened and the President walked out. They were screaming his name and chanting for Hillary. He still has such extreme popularity that he could be re-elected tomorrow if he were allowed.

My mother and I got to the event at 10 a.m. and it was scheduled to begin at 1:45 p.m. I helped out by passing out flags and Hillary buttons and just talking to people there. I wasn't covering the event for the paper this time because I wanted to get an autograph and that's a no-no. Hey, a girl needs to have her priorities! Besides the press had to be at the very BACK of the event, standing on a platform. I was in the very FRONT of the event.

I was in the front row, right in the corner of the VIP section. (It's good to have friends), so I was in the perfect spot for photos. I only took 278! :) The sun got to me and I had to sit down. They had a retired nurse spraying me with water and keeping track of my pulse and kept wanting to call the ambulance, but I wasn't about to leave.

He spoke for almost an hour with no notes, just from memory. He scored a lot of points and the crowd went wild when he talked about needing to fix the education system.

When his speech was over, he went to the railing to shake hands and give hugs. I had my scrapbook out and he took it and handed it to Secret Service along with dozens of other things people wanted signed. He went by me twice and grabbed my arm each time. If you ask my hubby why, he'll say it was the low cut top I was wearing, I say it's because of my beautiful eyes. :p

His staff brought out the books and papers about 15 minutes later and he had signed and dated each thing. I was beyond thrilled. I'll add a couple photos from yesterday to the page and it'll be a perfect memory of the day.

If you get a chance to go hear him speak, I highly recommend it. Even if you don't care for his politics, he is truly magnetic and very friendly.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

He was at the high school near here last evening too but I couldn't get away to go over to hear him. Considering the crowds plus the wait since he was late to all the events yesterday, my system would never have been able to withstand all that extra hassle though.

10:21 AM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

I lived in Michigan when he was elected; I worked at an auto plant. I remember hundreds of us volunteers working our asses off for the guy. I loved the man. Then, in his second term, he stabbed us all in the back and signed NAFTA, and the destruction of our industry was underway.

In retrospect, I now realize he was just another Ronald Reagan. A gifted orator...but a liar. Shrillary's no different - Republican Lite.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Now you can say, "Hillary is no Bill Clinton, I've met Bill Clinton!"

If she wins will it be "pillowtalk diplomacy."

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

President Clinton will be in Toronto, Canada next weekend and speaking at the Green Living Show.
I am looking forward to his presentation.
-Cheers.

4:56 PM  
Blogger nonizamboni said...

Glad you had a chance to meet him and that you had a good experience.
He's an amazing politician and speaker.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Paulie said...

Sounds like you were making memories!

2:24 AM  
Blogger Andree said...

Oh Gretchen, I am so jealous! What a great photo you took of him. It's better than his professional ones. And you're my kind of woman! A Hillary woman!!

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home