Friday, April 11, 2008

Elk Watching

I was out working near the elk herd's land and had to stop at several spots to photograph the magnificent animals. Have to love a job that allows these side trips.



It was early, around 8 a.m. when I went through the first time and they were out having breakfast. After working, it was around 10 and there was a herd of dozens and dozens at the Winslow Hill viewing area. I have never seen that before. Guess they knew there were no other tourists around. They seem to hide from them. It was lightly raining or I probably would have stood around longer, but the thought of ruining a very expensive Nikon D200 forced me back to the car.

On the way home, there were tons of turkey buzzards around. More than I have ever seen in one place. Guess there's lots of fresh road kill this morning because they were out feasting.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Willard said...

Gretchen
Thanks for stopping by my blog and for mentioning that you saw a lot of elk on your trip.

I want to go to Benezette soon, but my Dad had a hip replacement and I have to keep close tabs on him for awhile. Your photos and the fact that you saw a lot of elk helps to fire my interest in going as soon as possible!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

Awesome pictures!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

The link above on Kalar is an antivirus ad. You might want to delete it.

We have had elk reintroduced here in Northern Ontario. Once they ranged widely. I only hope the get well established to join the Moose, White tail Deer, and Caribou.

I love the turkey vultures. They clean up kills. When my neighbour's 400 cows are calving they show up in great numbers to feast on the after birth. They apparently can smell carrion 5 miles away.

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home