Thursday, April 10, 2008

Washington D.C.

WOW! Yesterday was a very long day, but I got to see a lot of our nation's capital. Not everything, but quite a bit. My mother, her sister and I went on a bus trip to see the cherry blossoms, hoping there would be an opportunity to get out and see more. (It was pretty inexpensive and gave me a chance to get there) We left the house at 5 a.m. and got home around midnight.

My daughter made me a beautiful backpack for her school project since I can't carry my normal one. It's sparkly moons, stars and clouds on a dark blue background. It held just enough of the things I needed.

Our first chance to get off the bus once we arrived in D.C. was at the Wall. I had seen the traveling version as well as the permanent one in Altoona, so we skipped that and ran to see the Washington monument instead. Then off we went to see the Lincoln Monument. We were the only ones on the bus who went to either. They are really close, but the rest didn't want to walk the extra few yards. Their loss. The Lincoln was something to experience. We've all seen it on TV and in countless films (including Planet of the Apes where he had an ape's head), but it has to be seen to really appreciate the size and scope.

Our next stop was at the WW2 monument. I had never seen it before and it is another one that needs to be experienced at least once in a life time. It's huge! We only had a half hour there, so I didn't take time to run over to the Jefferson Memorial, just photographed it from across the street. Glad I had a decent lens with that had some zoom.

From there, we went to Union Station. It's impressive to look at, but the shops were WAY overpriced and the one tourist kiosk where they sold pins, spoons, etc... the two girls working there refused to wait on me, so I didn't even get a pin. Not a happy camper at that.

There are statues and a replica of the Liberty Bell outside, so I had to be content taking photos of that. It was sad to see all the homeless people around there. One man was eating out of the garbage. Coming from a very rural area, we just don't have that here.

That was to be our last chance to get out in D.C. because the driver missed a turn and we didn't get a chance to go to Arlington. I have uncles buried there and wanted to see the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, but I guess that will have to wait for another time. Also didn't get to see the White House, except from a distance because the rest didn't want to walk. SIGH!

I did enjoy the trip and would do another bus tour, but think I'll make sure there's more chances to get out and move. My legs were so stiff by the time we got home, I could hardly stand.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger • Eliane • said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Gretchen. I am discovering yours. DC is a great city to play tourist - I discovered it running the Marine Corps Marathon, which was perfect. It has so many different areas that it keeps your mind entertain, which was perfect for those 26.5 miles... Next time you go back, I recommend strolling through Georgetown and along the Potomak. As for me, when I go back, I'll have to stop by the National Gallery!

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home