Thursday, March 30, 2006

Today's Road trip


The day started out early when Susan and her little boy stopped by the house at 8 a.m. and asked if I was ready to go. I'm always ready for a road trip, so I grabbed my bag, camera and PSP and ran out the door. We jumped in her van, grabbed my dad along the way and ended about 45 minutes later up at the Kinzua Bridge. Randy is working third shift and my kids and Susan's oldest were at school, so they couldn't go with. :( Next time.

If you've never seen it, the bridge was very impressive until a F1 tornado came through on July 21, 2003 and tore it to pieces - 11 of the 20 support towers from the 2,053-foot span that had stood 301 feet high. What a mess it is! People are trying to raise money to rebuild it, but I can't even begin to imagine how expensive that will be. The 121-year old railroad viaduct was once the tallest and longest in the world and was touted as the "Eighth Wonder of the World."

Seeing the devistation made by the tornado, sure keeps a person in awe of what Mother Nature can do when she gets angry. This was done by a small tornado, I can't even imagine what a F5 (the finger of God) could do. I never want to be in a position to find out either.

It was a perfect day to travel and walk around. We were the only people there, so that made the day just how we like it. The sun was behind us, so photos came out great! Next time, we'll pack a lunch and just picnic there.

When we got back into town, we printed out a few photos and will spend tonight scrapbooking them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home