Saturday, July 18, 2009

Photo Hunt 170: Rocks



Today's theme is ROCKS.

The Salem witch trials were a series of hearings before local magistrates followed by county court trials to prosecute people accused of witchcraft in Essex, Suffolk and Middlesex counties of colonial Massachusetts, between February 1692 and May 1693 Over 150 people were arrested and imprisoned, with even more accused but not formally pursued by the authorities. The two courts convicted 29 people of the capital felony of witchcraft. Nineteen of the accused, fourteen women and five men, were hanged. One man (Giles Corey) refused to enter a plea was crushed to death under heavy stones in an attempt to force him to do so.

To see more photo hunt participants, check out TN Chick.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger kayerj said...

so bizarre :)
my photo hunt is here Thanks

11:22 AM  
Blogger Reader Wil said...

Hi Gretchen! How horrible that people were executed on suspicion of witchcraft. Wise women,like you and me(LOL), were thought to be witches and killed. In a lot of Asian and African countries these practises are still common. I am glad I live in a part of the world where women are allowed to study, to teach and be the head of a company. That we can do what men do, if we want to!

12:45 PM  
Blogger This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Gretchen: Looks like someone had a bad day.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had to do a double take on this one. That guy doesn't look as destressed as I would be under all those rocks :)

4:51 PM  
Blogger That Janie Girl said...

That is one weird photo, Gretchen-girl!!

7:24 PM  
Blogger Mudhooks said...

A horrifying way to go. There was a documentary on the Witch Trials and they examined a lot of the theories about why it happened but couln't come to a conclusion.

One of the things they did was test out being "pressed" (not, though, to death). They examined what would happen to the human body in such circumstances. Terrible!

It took Giles Corey two days to die!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

WOW! What an amazing photo for these weeks theme. I loved the history lesson behind it too. I knew about those that were hanged but I don't remember the other one that refused to enter a plea.

I have mine up...not as interesting as yours but it's up.

Also if I may be so bold to ask...I've entered a photo contest and while you are over visiting would you please vote for me? It would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great rest of your weekend.

2:42 PM  
Blogger srp said...

Now that is a bizarre set up there. He almost looks real... OK. My hunt is up HERE.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home