Thursday, June 18, 2009

And so the angels began to cry

My father-in-law died on Tuesday morning and I was working on his eulogy today. Wanted to share.



Stan has been a part of my life in one form or another for almost as long as I’ve been alive. In elementary school, I was one of the few girls who chose to play little league. Stan was an umpire. He never cared if you were a girl or a boy, he called the came fairly. Those are my first memories of the man who would become more important than I could ever have imagined.

Once I got a little older, Randy and I became friends. I began to see Stan in a new light. Once I graduated from high school, Randy and I got serious and Stan took the new role of father-in-law. That was 23 years ago and our relationship has grown stronger every day. Right up to the end, the love I feel for him never wavered and will continue.

The day Arielle was born, I gave Stan the best gift he could receive, a little girl to love and love her is what he did with no hesitation or limits. She was his perfect little baby doll. The sun literally rose and set just for his granddaughter. Three years later, he had a new buddy when trevor came along.

Stan’s health began to fail a few years ago, but he was still the same wonderful man as always, just in a body that didn’t always do what he wanted. He’d still joke about how tiny I was and make sure nobody forced Trevor to cut his hair. When Arielle turned 16 last year, he couldn’t have been prouder than he was dancing with his little girl.

Our last real conversation was in late May. He told me about his childhood, life with the love of his life Norma and then about Randy. We talked for a couple hours and had lunch together. He was happy and positive and we laughed about some of the stunts Randy pulled over the years. That’s the image that will stay with me. Stan wasn’t one to complain about things. He was just a good man.

Until we meet again, Stan, I’ll love you forever and a day. You go from love into love.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. You wrote beautiful words for him, and I can tell he meant so much to you!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

My condolences on the passing of your father-in-law. From your words, he sounds like he would have been the ideal grandfather and father-in-law too. As much of a part that he played in your life, think of the legacy he has to have left then for his grandchildren.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

A lovely tribute to your dear friend and father in law. Your memories of him will nourish you for years to come.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Gretchen and family. My sincerest condolences for your loss.
Stan sounded like a wonderful man, father, father-in-law and grandfather. My thoughts are with you all. Lisa

8:07 AM  
Blogger Tikno said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

3:30 AM  
Blogger Carletta said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.
This is a beautiful tribute to Stan. Your words are beautiful.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home