Friday, December 12, 2008

Photo Hunter: Favorite



This week's theme for Photo Hunt is favorite. I'm choosing my favorite place to visit - Gettysburg, PA. I know it might sound strange, but when we go to the town, I always feel at peace. It's a sad place, you can feel the weight of the thousands of young men and boys who were taken too soon, but it feels like I'm home. We try to get there every year.

Devil's Den is one of those places where hundreds were killed during battle. When it came time to clean up the bodies, the people just threw them in the cracks of the rocks. Until they began to decompose, then they had to try and scoop them out. Didn't work too well.



It's not a gruesome place at all. Last time we were there, Randy and I stayed on the rocks until the park closed at 10 p.m. I wasn't scared at all, even when he had me step back inside the rocks for a photo. Maybe I was there in a previous life and that's why I love it so much?



If you want to take part in the fun, stop over at Photo Hunt central and find out all the details.

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger threesidesofcrazy said...

I've never been, but would love to go. BTW check out http://www.3sidesofcrazy.com/2008/12/1000th-post-and-winners-are.html Merry Christmas

11:11 PM  
Blogger Carletta said...

I've never been to Gettysburg. Your photos are wonderful. I'm going to have to put this on my vacation list of places to visit.
Love the one of you in the rock - awesome.

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I havn't been to Gettysburg either. I wonder what kind of feelings one could sense in such an emotionally dense space.

Wishing you the best Holiday Season. See ya on the blog circles.

1:23 AM  
Blogger YTSL said...

I've never been to Gettysburg (even though I lived for years in Philadelphia!). You make me wish I did though!

3:31 AM  
Blogger Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Hi Gretchen, thank you for stopping by my SW. This is an awesome monument to the battle of Gettysburg 1863. It cost America the largest number of casualties between 46000 and 51000 in the three day battle.
It is said you do not have to fear the dead, so you are fine standing where you were.

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My very thought. I am a reincarnationist so you won't get an arguement here.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Snowbird said...

I've been to Gettysburg several times. It really is a great place. So much history there.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Deborah Godin said...

I'm so glad I caught these posts on Gettysburg. The only time I was there was when I was about 12 years old, with my parents, but I remember it so clearly. It's one place I would like to visit again, and your photos are giving me the urge to travel!

12:16 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I actually had that thought about you "being there before" in my mind before I scrolled down and read that you wrote the same thing. Sometimes I wonder about those things!
Gettysburg looks peaceful now, and beautiful too.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Enigma said...

I haven't been to Gettsburg since I was a teenager. But I want to get back there. It was one of my favorite places/trips ever as far as summer vacations go. For many years I was a student of the battles there, but have forgotten much of what happened. Thanks for the reminder, and for sharing these wonderful -- if not haunting -- images.

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home