Saturday, September 19, 2009

Unstoppable movie set



We have a major motion picture being filmed near here starring Denzel Washington and Chris Pine. It's called Unstoppable and the filming yesterday was a snore a minute.

I got sent down by the paper I write for to get a few photos and talk to people. OK. I call my mother, who is also a reporter, and off we drive. She's my partner in crime and we generally do things together.

We park blocks from the site and walk. My camera and purse each weigh a ton, so I was not in the most pleasant mood when we got there, plus it's HOT! The local police were wonderful! Thank you Rufus for the great conversation and movie memories. The movie security guard was an entirely different matter. I had the publicist's name, so I walked up and sat myself down and he comes over all puffed up to yell about my camera. I cut him off with, "I'm waiting for ..." He wasn't pleased, but stalked off, glaring back at me every couple minutes to make sure I wasn't sneaking photos. Of what? Cars sitting on the road? The scene was about half a football field away!

So I sit there and start talking to people around me. There is a group from the local high school who were promised a visit to the set. Their publicist never shows up, so those poor kids sat there all morning for nothing. A lady in a mechanical wheelchair goes up to snap a photo with her little camera and over comes Barney Fife demanding she put it away! I was really ticked by then.

A local TV station was there filming, so I go over by her and start snapping away. Over comes Barney, yanking on his belt, "Maam, I'm going to have to ask you to refraine from taking pictures til ... gets here." Not a single word to the CAMERA CREW! Hello???



They call for lunch and everyone leaves. No publicist, no nothing. All I needed was two minutes of her time and a press release. That's it! I would have loved to write a nice fluff piece about how the movie has helped the town, but it was not meant to be, so I wrote a piece slamming them. Talked to the kids and lady in wheelchair about their disappointment. I hope the movie people feel like crap, but I know it won't matter in the least to them because we aren't real in their make-believe world of money and power.

Will I go see the movie when it comes out? Not on your life.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Sassyfrazz said...

How exciting to have a movie casted in your area, but too bad that you had such a bad experience with them! How rude of them!

4:12 AM  
Blogger That Janie Girl said...

Dang. That had to be a bummer...

6:47 AM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

Sounds like they richly deserved to be slammed!

10:10 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

We are having a movie made now in the town near here, Sturgeon Falls. They apparently wanted a real small town for a set this time rather than make some neighbourhood in Toronto look like a small town.

This a the second movie that has used Sturgeon Falls. A few year ago it was a stand in for the real town of Flin Flon, Manitoba. It was a sad movie about the real murder of a native girl.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Gretchen! I don't understand. Why were they so adamant about not taking pictures?
Well anyway, I'm glad you slammed them. They deserve it. Lisa

4:17 PM  
Blogger Luanne said...

So was Barney Fife a local rent-a-cop or was he with the actual film crew? I suspect he was a rent-a-cop (ie: local who got paid to be security). They ran into the same issues in Port Allegany, so I wouldn't sweat it. I understand why they had to draw the line on picture taking.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Siggy said...

You got snaked! I worked with that same publicist in Olean and she was totally cool. You can never trust Barney Fife -- don't you know that? Only an amateur goes to a set cold.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home