Thursday, May 21, 2009

Didn't I say I was tired of living in interesting times?

Well, apparantely, someone didn't listen. I was just trying to get some sleep this morning after Randy got home from work and the phone rings. It's the school nurse, "Your son was hurt in gym class." OK, is it bad? Do I need to get him? "Well, I think it's just he didn't eat breakfast." Umm ... how did he get hurt? He got KNEED IN THE HEAD during dodge ball. I'm on my way. Just as I was throwing on clothes, the phone rings again, a source is calling to let me know there was a school bus wreck in a near-by town. OK, son isn't hurt too bad, so I can pick him up and he can sleep in the backseat while I go to the wreck for photos. Called my mother to drive since I'm on too much good stuff to do that safely.

We get to the school, he can't pick his head up. I help him stand and get him to his locker, so we can leave. He start throwing up. OK, off to the local med express. They take one look at why he's there and want to call an ambulance to take him to near-by hospital for emergency CT scans of his head. We decide it would be faster to drive ourselves. Mom is going about 80. She NEVER goes more than 5 miles UNDER the speed limit.

The hospital sends him for scans and decides he needs x-rays of his neck, too. He spent the whole time throwing up. That concerned the doc and showed he took a really hard hit to the head. By now, his eye is swelled and turning black. The scans both say he's ok, but will need to have further checking tomorrow.

Now I'm here with him, have to keep checking him to make sure he's alert and knows what's going on. He'll stay home from school tomorrow. I'm supposed to spend the day with the Lt. Governor, but it'll depend on how he's doing.

I'm afraid to ask what next....

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Gretchen! I sure hope that your son is okay. Scary stuff. I wish better times for you and your family. You have had a lot on your plate for far too long. Take care and keep us updated on your son. Lisa

10:10 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh, let's hope it will all be better in the morning. I'm praying that your load lightens soon!

11:57 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

What a scary injury. I hope all will be well soon.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

"Just didn't eat breakfast?" Good grief!

Hope he's okay!

9:27 AM  
Blogger threesidesofcrazy said...

I sure hope he's doing better! I think the nurse needs a refresher course on triage! Let us know you are all well.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home