Saturday, April 18, 2009

I've had enough of interesting times

Wednesday morning, I was woken by a call before 6 a.m. from my father-in-law. He was screaming to get here right now. I could hear my MIL in the background yelling for me, too. What now? FIL is not in the best of shape, as most of you know, and can't make calls anymore, so I knew MIL had to give him the number to call me. I grab the clothes that are laid out the night before and call my mother as I'm pulling on pants and running out door. She lives only 2 blocks from them and could get there faster. I scream for the kids to get up and ready for school. They're worried and scared, but do it.

I fly the 1/2 mile to their house and run in. MIL is laying on the floor crying. Mom has her covered up with a pillow under her head. She fell down the steps and thought her hip was broken. I run upstairs to find FIL. He's confused and needs help getting dressed. The ambulance comes and takes MIL to hospital while Mom and I dress FIL. I've called hubby at work and told him he had to come now. We get to the hospital and sure enough, her hip is broken. She's to have surgery the following day.

FIL can't stay alone, so Randy, the kids and I stay at his house until I can get someone in to help. He fell while I was there alone with him and I couldn't help him up. We just sat on the floor until Randy could get to us. It was scary and told me there's no way I'm able to care for him. The other son decides to come home for a day to stay while MIL has surgery and I'm at a doctor in State College. Everything happens at once. I had tickets to see Disturbed on Friday, but had my brother sell them. I need to be here. I can go to a concert another time.

Friday, FIL is even more confused, so we take him to ER and they admit him. He'll be in there a week or so until his medicine can be straightened out. Maybe he'll be more himself then. MIL will be going to nursing home for 10-14 days to get the strength back in her hip. Not sure what will happen with FIL or if he'll be able to come home. It's scary to think about. They are so independent, but now we have to think about how to care for them the best way.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Maude Lynn said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'll keep all of you in thoughts and hope that things get a lot less interesting!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Now I know what you meant by the comment you left on my post.
I'll be thinking about you being in chaos too. Praying for you!

11:42 PM  
Blogger Sassyfrazz said...

What a rough way to start the day! I am so sorry to hear about your MIL and FIL. I hope everything works out, and that your MIL heals well! *hugs*

2:33 AM  
Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Oh Gretchen when it rains it pours for you. I am so sorry about all of this. I hope your MIL has a speedy recovery. And they are able to regulate your FIL meds.
Take care of yourself. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Lisa

1:18 PM  
Blogger Coy Hill said...

Sorry to hear of your problems but you did post a very cute Camera Critters!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

You certainly have your hands full. I am so sorry you have to deal with this when you have had your own problems lately.

Your father in law appears to be the problem. He needs care physical and mental. You mother in law cannot help him for quite a while.

I hope they have adequate insurance.
For Americans this is what determines the quality of care options. Good luck with this challenge. I hope it does not bring on your headaches.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Sadly, but all too frequently, it is events like these -your MIL's fall and then the added stress and confusion for your FIL that tends to put an end to the levels of independence many have previously enjoyed. Hope and pray that all goes well with the surgery and healing process as well as leveling out the meds for your FIL too. And that all this added stress doesn't knock you down too in the process.
Peace.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home