Sunday, March 15, 2009

First hike of the season



We went on our first hike today of the season. Hubby got me a Eddie Bauer pack with a bladder. It's a small pack, not a full sized one. I can't carry that much weight. Also had a small fanny pack with our first aid and hard candy in it. I decided that carrying the bladder half-full would be enough for me when he and both our teenagers have packs with bladders, too. Less weight and I could have gone a little further.


We went on a four-mile hike and it took us about two hours and that included stopping for lunch and taking our time. We went out to an old abandoned stone quarry and took our dog. She had a blast just running all over. We had the whole trail to ourselves. Not another person in sight. We did see wild turkey and deer though.

It was a good learning experience on what we need to add to our packs. When I wasn't able to go out last year for any real hikes, I forgot what all was really necessary. I've already added a small pair of gloves and a bandanna to my pack and will add a few more things before our next trip.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

Just wondering, if you were up to the hike, are the headaches starting to abate at all or some or a lot? Hopefully they are getting a bit weaker for you.

3:44 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

The hike looked like a great Spring outing. My knees are not good enough to do much hiking any more. Just to walk to the end of my property is a mile. Many a time I used to have to do that the retrieve cattle that had crossed onto the neighbours land.

I need to let my dog run a little on the other side of the river so he won't attack the pigs at the house.
(Real pigs, I come from the generation who always referred to the police a "pigs". It is hard to use the word without a flashback.)

8:12 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Oh how lucky you are to be able to hike, even just a little distance, and to have family to go with you!
Thanks for sharing!

10:04 AM  
Blogger scrappysue said...

hope you enjoyed your hike - thanks for the blogby!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Sassyfrazz said...

What a fun family outing! I hope we can do some hiking or walking trips this summer....
four kids, and three of them under 4, think we can do it? ~Lol

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home