Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Halo 3 Release Night


Last night or early this morning, depending on how you look at life, was the release of the video game Halo 3. Like all loyal mothers of a video game junkie, I drove 45 minutes to stand in line for three hours to get this game. Then another 45 minutes home. So, for the second time this year, I became one of those people everyone makes fun of - standing in line for hours, waiting for something to be released. When did this happen?

Dearest son was able to participate in the tournament even though he wasn't old enough because I said it was ok and would collect any prize he may happen to win. He made it to the championship round, but took second in his division. He was the youngest player (he's 12) going against 17 and older kids, so we think he did pretty well.

When the countdown begins, everyone gets back in line, except for about 10 self-entitled punks who felt they were better than everyone else and jumped line. The clerk and manager "couldn't" do anything because they hadn't seen them do it. Right! The one other mom and I told the kids what we thought of them and promised karma would visit their sorry behinds eventually. Those are the creatures who will be running America in about 10 years. I weep for the future.

Anyway, we slowly make our way up to the counter and suddenly, T has that game in his little hands. The grin on his face was HUGE! He's clutching the box close to him as we walk out the door. The crowd is cheering everyone who goes by. One kid yelled out, "You're parents must really love you!" to dear son because he had the legendary version. It was $130. Now, before you fall over and start about the cost, we didn't pay for it. T earned the money himself mowing lawns and saving up for almost a year to get it.

Was it worth the drive and the wait?

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary said...

I saw people waiting for that on the news last night. I said crazy people. I take it back.
How great !!!
Thanks for the nice comments on my blog. What kind of clothes do you normally wear??
Rosemary

1:09 PM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

Worth the wait? Absolutely! Just look at that face!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

What a terrific mom you are to support your son in something so important to him. He will remember! I remember my mother taking us to the Canadian National Exhibition and being there when it opened in the morning and leaving after Midnight and the fireworks display. What a trooper!

I am not a gamer but I was with a 66 year old woman in the game store and marvelled at how she and 14 year old boys swapped information and tails about games they have played. Generations were jumped. I didn't know what they were talking about!

2:03 PM  
Blogger The Future Was Yesterday said...

""You're parents must really love you!" "
Those kids will (thankfully) counterbalance the line jumpers. They actually know what that four letter word means!

"Was it worth the drive and the wait?"

Are dreams worth the time?:) Those of us who chose to become parents, do so with the realization that our life will be put on hold, to fulfill the wants, needs, and dreams of our siblings.

From the look on your Son's face, you did very well in all categories!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Laura Marchant said...

I see myself doing this one day and I think it will probably be for my hubby! He did look very happy.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Doing this for him, even though I'm sure you don't "get" it, (I sure as hell don't!) is great. The lessons he learns from this kind of support are priceless. You rock Mom!
V.

11:10 PM  
Blogger bella said...

Hell yeah! it was worth it.
I bet he'll remember this the rest of his life.
What a good mom you are.
It made me happy.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home