Monday, September 22, 2008

Happy Birthday, Michael



Today is another one of those bitter-sweet days in life. Our beloved Michael should be celebrating his 20th birthday. He should be doing all the fun things kids that age do. He should be in his second year of college or married with a baby or two, but we can't watch him blow out the candles on his cake, all we can do is go visit his grave.



Michael was killed two and a half years ago in a car accident on his way to school. In one short moment, all the promise of a wonderful life was gone. He was a musician and could play the guitar like a star at only 17. Michael was my cousin, my godson, my son's hero and best friend. I still have a hard time accepting he's gone. I know in my head he is, but in my heart, I can't believe it's true. I still can hear the screams when we were told what happened that horrific day in March. It couldn't be true, but it was. I close my eyes and I can see the day in crystal clear detail. I wish I could wipe it from my mind, but it just won't go away.

Until we meet again, Michael, I'll love you forever and a day.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Gretchen! Yes you do understand my feelings. You are feeling those same emotions today. It never really does get better does it? The pain eases, but never completely goes away. Michael was a very handsome young man.

Today would have been my brother's 48th birthday. Maybe Michael and Danny are celebrating together. This may some stupid, but I do believe in this, just take notice to something today that may normally not happen. As will I. This will be Michael and Danny's way of telling us they are still with us and telling us "I love you."

Take care of yourself today. Think of the good times and the laughter that was shared with Michael. Close your eyes and listen to the beautiful music that Michael played. Hugs. Lisa

8:35 AM  
Blogger Webradio said...

Hello Gretchen !
Happy Birthday to Michael !
Nice day for Your family...
See You later !

9:10 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

that is so sad. it must be horrible to replay those moments in your mind over and over again. hopefull one day it will fade a little :)

thanks for stopping by my place and leaving a comment

10:26 AM  
Blogger Sassyfrazz said...

OH how sad! What a sad day that was, I am sure! It is really amazing how precious life is, especially when it is short. We never know the number of our days. I am sorry that you are experiencing such a loss.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'm thinking of you.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

This tragedy is such a dreadful lose to you and his family and friends. He is honoured by your remembering him with such affection.

By the time I was twenty I had six close friends die. It was hard but I grew as a person dealing with it.
I know how sad you are on this day think what might have been.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Lynn Cohen said...

What a beautiful young man. Such joy he gave in his lifetime. I am so sad and sorry it was cut off too early, way way too early.
Please accept my condolences for this terrible loss.
Hugs...
Your photos of him are wonderful.

Thank you for coming by my blog...you now know how I feel about children. :-)

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home