Tuesday, August 26, 2008


Been spending too much time in hospitals lately. Randy got a horrid case of poison ivy while we were in Gettysburg. The rash is spreading and had to take him to med express on Sunday afternoon for a shot and cream to try and stop it. Poor guy is miserable!

We go for a short 2 1/2 mile hike and when we get home, his mother is calling that his 93 1/2 year old aunt was rushed to the ER and could we drive them since it's getting dark and she can't see to drive and his dad can't drive anymore. Of course, we jump in the car and go. We get there (45 minutes later) and they want to release her. Now, I'm not known as being the quiet mousey type, so I let them know they need to admit her. She's confused, didn't know where she was, what day it was or even who I was. Randy and I have been married 20 years and I was around over two years before that, so for almost 25 years, she's known me. That scared me. The doc gave in and admitted her. We finally get home at 12:30 a.m. Randy had to be to work at 7, so he was exhausted that day.

Then yesterday, the in-laws and I went to the hospital in the morning. We were there all day and Randy met us there after work. First they were going to do back surgery to help her compress fracture vertebra, but decided she might not survive, so they just sent her home on pain meds and will re-evaluate her again in 6 months.

While we were waiting for the docs to go over the x-rays, I stayed with her and had her tell me her life story. It's amazing what she went through since she was born in 1914. Her brothers went to work in the coal mines in the third grade. I can't even imagine that sort of torture! I had my tape recorder with, so I have it all and can make copies for her brother and sister that are left. I only wish I had done the same for my older relatives before they were gone. She seemed to enjoy talking about it. She still didn't quite know who I was. She kept insisting I was my daughter. We do look an awful lot a like and wear the same clothes.

Today, I have two court cases to cover. Two wastewater treatment plant workers falsified reports to the DEP about cleaning the brown water and never even bought half the chemicals they needed to do the job. Better then the last two murder cases, but not fun since that water runs through my town, too!

Labels: , , , ,


Blogger Elizabeth said...

Sorry to hear about your mishaps and all the time at the hospital. Hope it's better soon!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Mama Zen said...

It's wonderful that you were able to record her story. I wish that I had done that with my grandfather.

Hope everyone feels better soon!

6:17 PM  
Blogger D... said...

You were so smart to tape record her story. I am so sorry about all the troubles. I hope things look up soon.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home