Monday, August 18, 2008

Out for a hike

Randy, T and I went out for a hike yesterday since it was so beautiful. I couldn't stand to be cooped up in the house. At first T didn't want to go, so we offered him the choice of going and mowing his grandparents' lawns and suddenly, he was all for a hike. A was off with my parents for the day, so she missed out on the hike.



Randy bought a new hydration backpack for our trip to Gettysburg and it works great! Now T wants us to get him one. I thought about getting one for myself, but I can't carry that much weight, so it's easier to just use Randy's. He'll carry an extra couple bottles of water to refill the pack, plus all our food. I have a small floral backpack that I put my snacks and cellphone in, plus all the meds I can't live without. The only thing I didn't have yesterday was a sting stick. The bugs were awful! We fixed that as soon as we got back in town and now the stick is in my backpack for our next trip.

There were lots of blackberry and red raspberry bushes growing along the trail, so T began filling his hands. By the time we got home, his fingers and tongue were all stained purple. The smile on his face was priceless! Nothing like the taste of fresh berries.

There were a few grass snakes slithering around. Not my favorite of creatures, but T loves to play with them. They're non-venomous, so he picked them up and held them for a few photos. When they went by me on the ground, I'm jumping on a rock, but as soon as I'm behind the camera, I'm right on top of them. I think I've talked about that before. For me, when I'm behind the camera, what I'm seeing isn't as real. I think a lot of photographers can understand that.



We did a six-mile round trip. It was rough on me the last two miles, but I did it. When I got home, I did go to bed with the heating pad and watched the Olympics. The women's gymnastics was great! The floor exercise has always been my favorite to watch and beam my favorite to photograph. That will be on tonight with bars. The USA got robbed on bars, I think. Yeah, I had to peek and get the results already. It'll be shown tonight.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

Not a big fan of snakes -of any variety -here, I don't know if I could be that cool about photographing them like you are/were. Non-venomous snake bites can still make you sick though and that's enough to keep me well away from all of 'em as much as possible.

1:59 PM  
Blogger C. said...

I think snakes are gorgeous (behind the lens) - - my friend has two boas and they are HUGE. I've held them, and survived, but I'm all set with them being in my house.

Love the photos. Hiking rocks.

5:26 PM  
Blogger That Janie Girl said...

Sounds like y'all had a great time. And the snakes are too cute!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

What a fun time!!! I'm not a fan of snakes, but I'm glad your son isn't scared of them... Great photos!

9:04 PM  
Blogger This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Gretchen: I loved the post, I hate snakes. I saw one with a toad halfway into it's mouth and photographed it. I'm not brave enough to handle them.
Hope you do get some fish soon.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Me on Metatrophin said...

What a precious family! Also, I am sooooo glad that I am not the only one out there who picks up snakes!

8:38 PM  
Blogger marcia@joyismygoal said...

How fun you sound like us

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home